You are here
A Message from Councilmember Jim Graham
Please see the announcement below from the DC Department of Environment. I have also ATTACHED a flier for your convenience.
I urge Ledroit Park residents to consider participating in this program, funded through DC Water.
FREE RAIN BARREL/CISTERN PROGRAM
To help control full-scale flooding in the Bloomingdale and LeDroit Park neighborhoods, rain barrels and cisterns are effective at capturing localized storm water runoff. Through the District’s Rain Barrel/Cistern Program, DDOE will offer residents the option of selecting a rain barrel or a cistern to help reduce the storm water runoff that can flow from their properties into the streets and add to larger flooding problems.
DDOE will meet with homeowners and:
• Perform a quick storm water audit.
• Provide instruction on usage.
• Ensure that the correct size of rain barrel/cistern is installed.
• Provide information on how to maximize the performance of your rain barrel/cistern.
Maintaining Your Rain Barrel or Cistern
Your rain barrel or cistern will be a permanent fixture on your property and will require regular maintenance. Always remember to:
• Empty the rain barrel or cistern prior to the onset of a large storm so that it can capture the rain.
• Remove and rinse the filter that prevents leaves and other debris from entering the cistern.
This regular maintenance will allow your rain barrel/cistern to work more effectively in capturing storm water and reducing its impact.
To sign up
Please send an email to wpd.intern[at]dc[dot]gov or call Jenny Guillaume at (202) 535-2239 to schedule an appointment. DDOE will begin taking applications for rain barrels installed through this program Oct. 1.
Bests, Councilmember Jim Graham