You are here
The Committee is responsible for matters concerning welfare, social services, youth affairs (other than juvenile court proceedings), and disability services.
The Committee reviews on a continuing basis, the application, administration, execution, and effectiveness of policies, programs, laws and regulations, the subject matter of which is within the jurisdiction of the Committee, to determine whether those policies, programs, laws and regulations are being implemented in accordance with the intent of the Council and whether these policies, programs, laws or regulations should be continued, altered, or eliminated.
In addition, the Committee monitors the need for new legislation or amendments to existing law through regular hearings and research.
The following agencies come under the purview of the Committee:
Board of Social Work
Committee assignments for Council period 20 (January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2014)
- Workforce & Community Affairs: Marion Barry, Chairman; Yvette Alexander; Jim Graham; Kenyan McDuffie; Tommy Wells
- Business, Consumer & Regulatory Affairs: Vincent B. Orange, Chairman; Yvette Alexander; Mary Cheh; Jim Graham; David Grosso
- Economic Development: Muriel Bowser, chairman; Anita Bonds; Jack Evans; Kenyan McDuffie; Vincent Orange
- Finance & Revenue: Jack Evans, chairman; Marion Barry; Muriel Bowser; David Catania; David Grosso
- Health: Yvette Alexander, chairman; Anita Bonds; David Catania; David Grosso; Vincent Orange
- Judiciary: Tommy Wells, chairman; Anita Bonds; Muriel Bowser; Mary Cheh; Jack Evans
- Education: David Catania, chairman; Yvette Alexander; Marion Barry; David Grosso; Tommy Wells
- Government Operations: Kenyan McDuffie, chairman; Muriel Bowser; David Catania; Mary Cheh; Vincent Orange
- Human Services: Jim Graham, chairman; Marion Barry; Anita Bonds; Kenyan McDuffie; Tommy Wells
- Transportation & the Environment: Mary Cheh, chairman; Jack Evans; Jim Graham; Kenyan McDuffie; Tommy Wells